Here is a compilation and quick summary of top ten tips for decorating and upgrading your house and home furniture from a great article at realsimple.com along with some of my personal favorites:
- Bring the spring bloom indoors – decorate your home with flowers of different textures and colors. Consider the fake flower arrangements as well. You can stop by your nearest second hand store, flea market, or online for beautiful used vases and pay a fraction of its cost.
- Create a side or night table using stacked books and place them on top of each other to create a tower or table. Make sure to use sturdy and preferably hard cover large books that have colorful covers that pop.
- If you are lucky enough to have a large room, add a ceiling mounted curtain to separate the space into two rooms. You can keep it simple with a plain white drape or go bold depending on your preference.
- Use a set of silver trays or beautiful china and hang them as art.
- Use light colors and textures to create the illusion of a bigger space. You can also add mirrors which will add lighting and space to any small room.
- Use three-dimensional tiles with different textures and colors and hang them on your wall. Note, any tiles like bathroom tiles can be used as décor if placed properly!
- Use a fabric that has a bold texture and color and create it into a canvas to hang in your room.
- Add pillows to a couch or a bed of different sizes, colors, and texture. Pillows don’t need to be paired in two’s.
- Add a center bold and colorful rug to make a statement.
- Add or update an accent wall with a vibrant and lively color.
I included the pictures above from realsimple.com because I thought they provide a great example to that very simple tip and it shows how beautiful your room can look!