If I look back at the areas that I have improved in my house and home furniture, I am actually quite impressed… Well, actually it wasn’t absolutely all of my ideas but for starters, my living room was bare and boring with wet wood that was protruding from the floor in every direction because somebody brought in the hose to clean the floor not knowing that once you wet wood, when it dries it will expand and it will completely ruin your flooring. It was sticky and smelly and the windows and blinds were horrid and dirty. Also, the couch was musty, wet, and stinky because that person also wet the couch to clean it. Nobody would even dare sit in the living room. It had the worst vibe ever… So it got me motivated and thinking how to decorate my house…
Then things changed, the horrid blue musty couch was thrown out (thank God!!) and not to mention how humongous it was which made the big living room look tiny. What also made the living room tiny was the cherry wood flooring. Anyway, the living room sat empty for months and low and behold, things began accumulating (like bikes and boxes and some boxing thing). So the floor was redone with bamboo flooring which is refreshing with a light beige color. It looks great! It is bright, cheap, refreshing, and looks very modern. However, it was never touched up (no paint on top) so it’s still raw and has no shine but it’s fine because it is actually not necessary… No big deal because it still looks great. Then, the entire house got painted and moldings got installed throughout the house which looks amazing! But the molding were also never painted so it’s been sitting white raw lol But it’s OK, it still looks fine, nobody would notice unless they stare. So finally, after months of sitting with bikes and things that don’t belong in the living room and after months of nagging at my boyfriend, we decided to begin looking for a couch, flat tv, coffee table, tv stand, and a pretty carpet to match.
The couch took the longest time to find because we are on a budget and everywhere we looked to top it off they were so boring, huge, expensive, and uncomfortable. But there was this white couch we’ve been eyeing for a couple of months at Ikea and guess what? After a couple of months of persistently looking for a couch on Craigslist, we found it for less than half the price!! ($500 to be exact) and it’s L-shaped and clean and in like-new condition… It was meant for us like love at first sight. So we finally got our couch and we picked it from a rich girl that needed to get rid of stuff because her student visa expired so she had to go back to somewhere in the Middle East. This is how my project on improving my house and home furniture began…
In summary, here are some tips on how to go about on house and home furniture:
1) Light wood flooring will open up and bring in light to any room. Wood will also make it more refreshing but light color carpeting will also do the same effect.
2) Clean your dirty old blinds – you can actually take them off the wall and clean them or you can go to your nearest home decorating store and buy a new set of blinds if you are not on a budget.
3) Look on Craigslist for house and home furniture – it will pay off if you are on a budget and you will find a treasure or buy OK furniture for a great price. You can also look into your nearest home decorating stores for ideas or buy them there if money is not an issue.
4) Look into house and home magazines OR house and garden magazines for ideas – that is how my sister is going about her house and home furniture hunting (she just purchased a new house which is gorgeous and waiting for amazing decorating and furniture).
5) It will take time so enjoy the hunt! And it’s a lot of work but be persistent!